 Space / 6237
Re: Omega-Class Destroyer from Babylon 5 (Vers 1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:10:41 GMT

In article <G7FI4r.EAn@lugnet.com>,
Rick Hallman <Griffon_Industries@hot-mail.remove.com> wrote:
Here are some pictures of my first OMEGA-Class Destroyer from Babylon 5. I
figured out the problem between the two section (spinning all 3) by
borrowing an idea from the B-Wing. I used the 1x2 with technic axle peg (a
plus hole) and stuck a 12-axle between them. The Grav-Section now spins and
the engines and hanger sections don't. But, Now I need asthetic help. I need
to figure out some of the BIG guns on the side, the missile launchers, and
all the little offs-n-ends of it. If some B5 fan could help me...I would be
happy.

I've given that some thought previously, and haven't actually built anything,
but since you asked... :)

I found a closer-up version of the ship (note that this is a rendering done
by folks other than Foundation or Netter Digital, so it's not specfically
canon, but it's dang close...) that'll give you some better detail on the
nose:

http://pokrface.home.texas.net/aggy.jpg

The things that it brings out that the photos you had in your reference
section didn't:

1) The sides of the front hull look more like huge metal plates grafted to
random stuff than they look like integral parts of the body. I was planning
on using the new click-hinges and building those plates similarly to the
TIE-Interceptor set.

2) The BIG guns on the side are much simpler than you're doing. Instead
of a Star Wars Gun, I'd replace that unit with a "headlight" brick and
the stud of a 1x1 round brick pressed into the "back" of the headlight.
Partsref calls those parts 4070 and 3062b. I think this'll be right with the
scale you're working on. Perhaps they need to migrate forward a stud or
two.

3) The 1xn plates sticking out the front are a good idea, but I think they may
be a little long.

All things considered, it's a far sight better than my Star Fury model ever
hoped to be.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <