 Space / 6133
Re: what is a mecha?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:39:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article 3883C983.8DB4FE9C@tpgi.com.au, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

can someone please explain what a mecha is, preferably with (non-lego)
examples?

"Mecha" is the Japanese term for mechanical vehicles. It is usually used in
reference to large robots, usually featured in animation.

Visit http://mechadomain.gundam.com for many examples.

HTH

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
This thread is probably dead but ill post anyway... From my takeing Japanese
and reading a lot about anime I've come to the nearly the same conclusion as
you Mark, the japanese borrowed the word mechanical from us and over time it
was shortened, so in theory a toaster is consider a mecha, as well as an
electric tooth brush and drill press. Thats the literal though, mecha now a
days is more exotic like giant robots, ie Evangelion and Brain Powerd, also
many video games reflect this... Mecha is really whatever you want to be,
other poeple have posted many examples so you can go from there.. Good Luck!
-John Aronson
http://www.geocities.com/neoplastics