 Space / 5146
Re: Sci Fi tech/art books and inspiration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 01:21:52 GMT

As you can tell by my style of design (blocky and functional - not much
sleekness), I'm very interested in actual artist renditions of early to late
21st century space craft.  I don't have the names, but I picked up a few
space books that simply talked about the topic in general, and then had
large glossies at the back of some cool paintings.  One was sort of like the
2001 discovery, but halfway between that and the ship from Mission to mars.
So I would see things like space tugs, big inner solar exploration vessels
with rotating sections for gravity (like the Russian ship off of 2010),
truss-like bodies that connected the forward living pods and cargo bay to
the rear fission reactor.

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
In the drop ship thread the Aliens Colonial Marines book was mentioned.
Sounds very cool. I found it for $14 at Fatbrain.com. I haven't bought it
yet though.

What I was wondering about were other cool technical manuals of this
variety. All I really have are SW Essential Guide to Vehicles And Vessels
and the two cross section books. Not really technical but they have some
cool illustrations and a little info.