 Space / 4869
Re: I need Capital satrship building help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:22:24 GMT

I am in the process of updating my page for the construction of my latest
capital ship 'Hyperion' and will post another general message when i've got
it up.  I've tried to show a few more details about how the ship goes
together, and how i'm constructing it.
  I figure when i start it will take me several months to complete and
during those months i can save money and buy parts as i go.  I typically
start blocking them out on graph paper, as far as size and shape.  I wanted
to go vertical on this ship, and as previously mentioned, the mothership in
homeworld was somewhat of a starting point, however this design seemed quite
limiting at the size i wanted to build (i still want to do a similar one).
I've also found that it's easier to cover horizontal, rather than vertical
space.  When i start i'm not entirely sure where everything will fit in.
Certain things like the landing bay, engines, and crew quarters, i have a
pretty good idea where i want them, but as i build i then figure out how
things are going together and where other spaces need to be (or will fit).
I started building the bridge in 2 different places before deciding on a
third.
  Basically i base my shapes on complex boxes and then build from there.
The neat thing about building in sections (modular) is that i can build the
shell (and judge how much brickage i need) before building all the interior
details.  It's then easy to go back and rebuild a single module without
having to tear down major portions of a ship.  Also, as i'm waiting for
exterior pieces i can work on the interior.

Well that's all i can think up for know, good luck.

Jeb
http://carpc.home.att.net/hyperion    Starship Hyperion
http://jebulan.home.att.net/lego.html Jeb's Lego Page