 Space / 4857
Re: I need Capital satrship building help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:58:26 GMT

In lugnet.space, Scot Jandly writes:
Hey, I wanted to go and build myself a cap. ship, asfter seeing all the ones
over at the galactic shipyard.  Unfortunately, i have no idea about how many
pieces Ill need, and I've never useda a modular construction building method
in my life!(my ships have so many redundant bricks for holding them
together, you could drop one off the sears tower and nothing would happen to
it).  So if anybody has any tips, they're much appreciated.

   This is a perennial topic of discussion, but a welcome one.
   I wonder if I may make a suggestion to the erstwhile patron
   of the Shipyard--that it might bear consideration to include
   tips for potential builders of cap ships?  Since it's already
   the clearinghouse for enormous advanced designs, that would
   seem a logical progression, and I'm sure there's no shortage
   of folks (like me) who would leap at the opportunity to help
   gather information.

   Aside from prescriptions for advice-archival, I'd have to
   ask Scot:  What sort of design are you thinking of?  A vertical
   cap ship (for example, the Mothership in Homeworld for the
   most extreme case) would require different structural reinforce-
   ment than, say, a model built along the lines of _2001_'s ship
   Discovery.  What I do is try to sketch out what I want it to
   look like, and go from there.

   Modular building:  You'd be surprised at how strong a modular
   construction using bricks with Technic pegs and Technic beams
   can be.  Modularity isn't required, but try to think of it in
   terms of making the parts of the ship accessible.  Some vessels
   are built with no intention of ever being picked up off a table
   in one piece; rather, the idea is that they can be opened and
   figs can be seen and moved.  So is your cap ship a flier or a
   playset of sorts? (variable "whooshability," in the vernacular.)

   best

   LFB