 Space / 4512
4511  |  4513
Subject:
Deciding on a crew for a spaceship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 21:38:00 GMT

Sort of off-topic, but it's for a lego MOC.

I'm trying to create (only) as much backstory as needed to get a decent
balance to the design for my large spaceship.  One of the essential
components is to get a grip on the crew size (so I can then plan space for
stores, and any rec areas, and etc.).

My concern is whether the numbers I'm coming up with seem balanced.  Do
they pass the reality-check?  I realize in an SF starship, any situation
can be posited, from a shipped crewed by 1 person and a big AI, to ships
that require extreme amounts of TLC from dozens of crew members.  I guess
I'm reaching for the fallback of matching the current-day situation.

Anyway, I'll go into what details I've made up so far, and I'd appreciate
any comments anyone might have.

The ship in question is going to be an interstellar research vessel,
probably government-funded.  Typically, it will be in deep space for weeks
or months at a time.

The way I figure it, the crew should break down as follows:

1 captain
1 head scientist
1 head engineer
1 head pilot
1 cook/quartermaster/cup bearer/butler/senaschal
some engineers (engineers are responsible to keep the ship running.
Engines, computers, air systems, heating systems, waste systems, droid
maintenance, they do it all)
some pilots (pilots are responsible for all bridge functions, including
piloting, astrogation, comm, etc)
some scientists (they do the research)
some unrated crew members (aka, 'grunts', they do whatever they're told)

Besides the captain's quarters, I'm planning on having 8 living quarter
modules.  The floorspace for each LQM is roughly 12x24 studs, and provides
things like bunks, personal stowage, private space, and a head.  The volume
of space devoted to any one crewmember depends entirely on their
importance, of course.  I've tentatively allocated the LQM's as follows:

LQM 1 - Head of Science (1 person). Also includes small conference area for
scientists.
LQM 2 - Head Engineer & 2 second engineers
LQM 3 - Head Pilot & 2 seconds
LQM 4 - 3 jr. pilots, 2 second engineers, and cook
LQM 5 - 4 scientists
LQM 6 - 4 more scientists
LQM 7 - 6 research assistants
LQM 8 - 6 unrated crew

(for LQM 8, I really thought about going for a sardine-can approach, trying
to fit in as many minifigs as I could in the given space.  So the 6 unrated
crew members could turn into 20 various junior crew members).

Including the head for each area, this gives:

1 captain
6 pilots/bridge people
5 engineers
7 general-purpose housekeeping/maintenance/bottle-washing staff
15 scientists

Which totals 34 minifigs.

I figure the minimum staffing for the bridge will be 2 pilots at all times.
So for 3 eight-hour shifts, I'll need 6 pilot-bodies.  Other personnel will
have some bridge experience, and could fill in as copilot in a serious
emergency.

Engineering-wise, only 1 engineer will be required on-duty at all times.
The extra two bodies will work as needed, usually on the day shift.  The
unrated staff help with engineering duties as necessary.  If it starts to
look like more engineering-bodies are desirable, I'll start increasing the
bunk-count in LQM 8.

The cook is always busy, but there'll probably be a specific assistant
among the unrated crew as 2nd-shift backup.

So far, I'm not sure what the scientists are up to.  But they all show up
to the lab whenever they have something to do...

Steve