 Space / 40759
Re: Neoclassic Space Cutter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 21:26:05 GMT

In lugnet.space, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
   A most excellent addition to the NCS line of MOCs. Something about the shape reinforces the militant nature of this vessel. I especially like the use of the 2x2 trans-red slopes.

Your photos, background and framing really make a fine presentation. Would you be willing to share some of your techniques?

I promise to get a presentational photo of my NCS fast courier soon.

Aaron,

Thanks much! I still think your creation has a higher coolness-factor. I’m currently working on another, a larger ship, that’ll have more features than the cutter. Yeah, I like the NCS line. Way too fun.

My techniques? It’s all general Photoshop stuff, really. The part that is usually the biggest pain-in-the-hiney is “floating” the ship (or whatever-the-vehicle-is) on a separate layer. If the background is kept simple, the magic wand tool makes this relatively painless. But if there are too many complications in contrast, then I select the ship out by hand, using the polygonal lasso tool. This takes some patience, but I’m a little crazy sometimes, and can do it. Certain masking techniques can also help.

The Saturn image is courtesy of Voyager 2. I pasted the ringed world into its own layer and modified it some. Used a Gaussian filter to blur it slightly, along with the stars, to bring the ship out in starker contrast (which is easy to do when everything is on separate layers).

The stars I made with the airbrush and very light blue. Put on a layer behind the planet and ship.

With the photography, one thing to pay attention to is lighting. Mine isn’t as good as I’d like it to be, actually, but I keep it directional enough to at least suggest the harsh, direct lighting of interplanetary space. I use diffuse natural lighting from a single window, with some scattered light from another in the same room--this gives the shadows some direction, but also allows for a good exposure of both the highlighted and shadowed areas (this is Lego; doesn’t have to be 100% realistic ;o). Though, letting some shadowed stuff get lost is okay, AFAIAC, as that is what would really happen in deep space. When the ship is next to a brightly lit planet, then there’s a means for reflected light to highlight darker portions of the spacecraft.

Incidentally, I use a fairly inexpensive camera--Kodak Easy Share--with a cheapo tripod. Don’t need anything super-fancy to do what I’m doing. I’d rather spend my money on bricks. :o)

Hope this helps. And I am most certainly looking forward to the presentational photo of your NCS design. One day, I’m going to make something like that ship...

-best,

Wolf