 Space / 40412
Re: faktor0a Mecha: height 18 inches, weight 2.35kg, 2 Lego Fiber Optic Elements, ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 22:05:16 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Dan Demmler wrote:
Hello everybody!¬
¬
I am happy to show you until now, my largest Mecha:¬
faktor0a¬

Hey great, I was looking forward to this new Mecha!

Here the facts:¬
- faktor0a ist my first Mecha with Lego-Technik-Gears¬
- height 18 inches (or 45cm) ¬
- weight 2.35kg¬
- The Mecha has 2 Lego Fiber Optic Elements¬
- Both Lego Fiber Optic Elements are powered by one Lego Micromotor¬
- A small 9V Battery Box is also included ¬
- In the head are 2 Lego Light Bricks¬

Wow, we used the same style canopies at the same time!
Two sets of fiber optics, nice to see those being used.

Do you want to see him?¬
[ Here are all the pictures:]¬
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=192050>
I wish you enjoy it!¬

Hey wow, you have many many many many many pictures. Nice!
So this is your first large mech using gears?
I think you did well.
Even if you had to "reduce" or "dump it down".
I like the arms and legs. A lot.
Of course I like the head. :)
The neck seems like it needs a second pivot point.
This gave me some ideas.

I like how the Turntables look so nice.
I want those clear 5 hole pully wheels. Drool Drool I want those!
The color looks nice. Good choice. White with the black, and the smoke canopies
with lighting. If this is your first large Mecha, I am certainly looking forward
to your next creations!

When you "reduced" or "dump it down", when you made alterations to the design to
what we see now, did you have a bigger mid section, or torso area before?

I think the Faktor0a Mecha needs more center area tallness.
Perhaps you changed this to be smaller?
I know you said you were trying to counter the balance to make the Mech more
stable. I was just wondering.

{Fear in the dark?}¬
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dan/Mecha/faktor0a/Night/thumb/faktor0a_329.jpg_thumb.jpg>>¬
{Behind Minigs:}¬
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dan/Mecha/faktor0a/Minifigs/thumb/a_folder_faktor0a_281.jpg_thumb.jpg>>¬
{faktor0a shows senses/emotions:}¬
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dan/Mecha/faktor0a/Senses-Emotions/a_folder_faktor0a_258.jpg>>¬
{[(Dont understand this wrong! In germany this is a gesture (Die Geste) to
show someone that he is stupid. This means NOT you people! ¬The picture show
faktor0as flexibility and facial expression.}]¬

You robot has a range of expressions, I like those finger tips. Great idea!
I also like the angles of your photos. Very interesting.

I think this means something in some language too:

{Story:}¬
Look at the Subfolders in the link upside. In the faktor0a-folder you find
subfolders like: Details, Minifigs (to show his size and poses), Night
(pictures taken in lower light to show the effects of the Fiber Optic or the
Light Bricks ) and the subfolder Senses-Emotions (to show how faktor0a poses
and shows his senses-emotions).¬

Wow, that is a lot of photos. It helps to see all the techniques you used to
build the Mech. Do you upload them one at a time, or are you compressing them to
a Zip File, then uploading them all at once?

In faktor0a I spent a lot of time and bricks, first of all his gantry and
frame.¬ It wars dificult for me to build a large Mecha. Because if the size
goes up, the instability goes up to.¬ Another point was to create feets that
stand fixed/solid on carpet and on laminate (even / flat).¬ I build on
faktor0a since a half year. In this time I build more or less on it. First I
had more trys to create and build the frame / gantry.¬ First faktor0a was a
humanoid Mecha, later I dump down this humanoid-design and I create what you
now can see.¬

Congratulations. Well done! 6 month build! I can appreciate that!

If you use Throw Bot Gear Boxes with z40 gears, then bind the gear directly to
the Technic Beam, it is a strong way to make a joint. Good for ankles like you
have on this Mech.

For me was it new to build with Lego-Technic.¬
Because I build a lot of parts around the frame, and including also the
micromotor, the 9V Battery Box, and so on, the weight of the Mecha goes up,
and up.¬

.....and up and up and up!!!!! Yay!

It is not my Motto "Bigger is better", but this faktor0a Mecha-creation is my
biggest and heaviest moc I ever build. Until now. And I am happy to that it
has a big flexibility to.¬

I agree, both small and large things have their own challenges.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and the gallerys!¬
Hafe fun with it!¬

Thank you Dan, There are many pictures to enjoy.
Wow, you have a good camera!

I am happy if you want to show response!¬
regards Dan

Like actually talk about Mecha Building!?!?!
Hey good idea!

:p