 Space / 40190
Re: 4888 Ocean Odyssey alternate MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:24:07 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Mark Stafford wrote:
   Hi all,

All I added is a mini-fig. I wouldn’t normally post about these MOCs, but I’ve seen a lot of posts from fairly new builders recently saying they can’t compete with builders who have large collections because they don’t think it’s a fair playing field. Though to some extent I sympathize, I also wanted to make the point that creativity is possible even with just one set. (Though it is a very good set.)

Cheers, Good building, Mark.

Nice work, and good call on alot of newer builders. I think its a convenient excuse to say that its impossible to build anything worthwhile with a small assortment of bricks. I grow tired of hearing people say that if they had a large collection, their MOCs would be amazing. Building isn’t simply a matter of having the right bricks; it also demands a certain amount of talent. I appreciate that many builders could build far better than me if they had a collection as big as mine, but I also am aware that what makes a great MOC goes beyond size.

I’m really liking these alternate-model contests that have been popping up recently. They truly reinforce the idea that building is a skill. Alot of the best MOCs are often very small, incorporating new or innovative thinking. Immitating these techniques isn’t the same as discovering them. Mark, your two MOCs truly demonstrate that alot can be done with only a few sets if you really set your mind to it. Great work!!

Later.