 Space / 40136
Re: "Izanami's Revenge" - space pirate vessel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:09:49 GMT

Thanks Allister and Richie. I do appreciate the replies.

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
   Nice space ship!

But I’m not getting the pirate part of it. Besides saying “This is a space pirate ship” and “Arr! This be a space pirate ship!” what is it about this vessel that makes it a pirate ship?

I don’t think traditional piracy would translate well into a spacey environment... particularly not with a single seat vessel. The small, fast and proportionately heavily armed is right... but piracy traditionally uses lots of crew.

Richie, thanks for pointing out my ignorance of real world piracy. I know.. this is what I get for cross-posting to lugnet.pirates.

But seriously, this is good feedback. I’ve gotten a couple of comments about this ship missing some basic functionality in order to be a believable pirate ship. There is no space for prisoners or booty (except for the “booty” that is the pilot, whom Allister has been ogling...), or any other crew for that matter.

Maybe someday I can build a larger ship, with space for crew, loot, and anything else that a true pirate ship requires (any more suggestions are welcome). Perhaps this model would be better classified as more of an outlaw mercenary/assassin’s ship, or even a short-ranged fighter deployed by a much larger pirate ship.

Out of curiosity, why do you think traditional piracy would not fare well in space?

Thanks again

Dennis