 Space / 39665
Re: Looking for a terminology clarification
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 15:45:17 GMT

   Can anyone clarify (or at least take sides :) on the differences between drives, engines, (systems?) thrusters, boosters, rockets, motors(?) and any other propulsion devices that may move things about space. Extra points for non-thrust creation “technologies” like Warp (drives?) the drive (engine?) of the Tardis, and the hyperspace generators (?). How about a solar sail?

-Rob A>

Ok, I certainly don’t claim to be any expert but.......

Thrusters are small thrust generating devices of any type that are used to change direction or to be used when no other mode of propulsion is available/appropriate (e.g. in a planets gravitational field).

Engines are any device used to convert what a drive generates into usable thrust. (See the definition of “Drives”)

“Motor” is usually a term only applied to rockets and denotes it as the primary mode of locomotion. (e.g. rocket motor)

Boosters are any type of engine which accelerates a craft to high speeds in a short a mount of time, usually with certain side effects (e.g. cannot be stopped easily, only works once, must be charged up before use, etc.)

Rockets generate compressed hot gas by burning various chemicals (generating thrust). There are two types solid fuel and liquid fuel. solid fuel rockets simply contain compressed fuel that burns from one end up and cannot be stopped once ignited. Liquid fueled rockets carries two or more fuels (e.g. liquid oxygen and alcohol) which a pumped and through out the rocket and ignited at a nozzle near the end allowing control over the reaction.

Drives are a very different beast from any of the above. They do not generate thrust on there own they merely generate a necessary component for a crafts engines (e.g. plasma, electricity, hot air, etc.). The craft’s engines then convert what ever the drive generates into thrust. It can be thought of like the pistons in a cars engine. The combustion in the piston generates kinetic energy which the car’s engine transforms (up/down to rotation) and transfers to the axel.

Hyperspace generators are devices that allow a craft to exist and move in an alternate dimension where time moves faster than in our dimension.

drive of the Tardis I have no clear idea but probably distorts space and time in our dimension to allow for travel between time frames and places.

Warp Drives never could figure these guys out. I think they are just really big drive/engine combos that allow faster that light travel for extended periods.

Solar Sails convert ambient energy (such as light and cosmic radiation) into kinetic energy.

Bonus!: Slipstream Warp Drives are basically Warp Drive/Hyperspace Generator combos that allow faster than light speeds in an alternate dimension where time moves faster.

So in short: Drives power engines. How the drive interacts with the engine is up to the discretion and imagination of the builder.

P.S. drives are sometimes considered to be integrated into the engine, especially for small stuff like fighters.