 Space / 39328
Re: New MOC: The Sluf air-fighter prototype
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:58:23 GMT

In lugnet.space, Niels Bugge wrote:
   I don’t particularly like rectangular wings... Gives me a kind of slow WW1 vibe that don’t fit spacecrafts IMHO. I think I would like it much better if you cut away half of the wings (by the white flag), and perhaps beef up the tail.

I greatly appreciate the time you take to give constructive criticism, it has always been helpful. As for the wings -- the air-fighter is based on the SF3D model Fledermaus. While I am not able to maintain fidelity to the exact shape of that model the general form is there. The blockyness is also supposed to suggest rugged and practical versus aerodynamic. I think though the color scheme detracts from the implied rugged looks. I am at the moment building a second version in dark gray, I think that change in color may help with the aesthetics.

   But it’s really great to see you’ve started building again; I admire your work a lot.
Thank you

   In lugnet.space, brent skadan wrote:
   P.S. I have gotten a lot of requests for instructions for my RedTail racer, does aybody know if it would be possible to model it in MLCad?

You consider taking up MLCAD? Great news!

You can model everyting in mlcad, and since I can’t spot any parts that isn’t already modeled for ldraw (but you’ll have to download some of them from the PT), the redtail should be easy enough. 5-10 hours.

Just remember to use submodels every time you rotate something - like I’ve explained here: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=12826 That way you can build nearly everything studs up and at the usual 90 degree angles.

The MLCAD interface was not too difficult to understand, I found it to be a well structured program with an intuitive interface. The only issue I have is the lack of snaps. I saw on the CAD NG that there maybe some who are working on this. I am considering working on it myself, just got to get the source code and start tracing.....

http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/1933