 Space / 38983
38982  |  38984
Subject:
Playing with the idea of docking ports again ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:22:20 GMT

I was trying to come up with a docking port that was bigger and
stronger than a Moonbase flange, but still compatable with it, and also
allowed vertical connections and connections at n X 90 degree rotations.
I used MLCAD to experiment with different spacings of technic beams to
find the smallest workable SRSU (Studs Right Side Up) arrangement of 4
technic pins at the corners of a docking port that would allow one of
the ports to be rotated 90 degrees and reconnected.
After I was happy with that, I took the SRSU version and made a SNOT
(Studs Not On Top) version that could be used to add a dorsal or ventral
docking port on a mostly SRSU ship.
Lastly figured out a simple adapter to connect a Docking Port to a
Moonbase flange.
I've posted some pics and some LDRAW files to Brick Shelf.

Gallery after Moderation

The SRSU Port
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/xanthra47/Docking-Ports/port-srsu.jpg

The SNOT Port