 Space / 38978
Re: License Lifespan?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:24:56 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.starwars, Dave Schuler wrote:
This was probably discussed previously, but I couldn't readily find it:  when
does the LEGO/Star Wars license deal expire?  And might we hope for LEGO
original Space themes soon thereafter?

2007 is the last year of the original license. The question is whether or not
Lego will seek to renew the license, and whether or not they'll seek to modify
the license.

Thanks for the info.

I kinda wonder whether the license says that TLG (are they going back to calling
themselves TLG instead of TLC?) can't *develop* fantasy space themes or whether
they just can't *sell* such themes. If they can develop them under the existing
license, chances are we'd probably see new space stuff in 2008 or 2009.
Otherwise, probably 2009-2010 maybe? And hopefully some space Legend sets to
fill the inbetween gap!

Good insight!  It would stink if they'd locked themselves into a
thou-shalt-not-develop contract, so maybe something will hit the shelves as soon
as SW expires.

IIRC, LEGO said the contract does not have a do not develop or sell clause for
Space but rather the "ban" is self imposed since they would be competing with
themselves.

Jude

Dave!