 Space / 37094
Re: Need Help: Rotating Sections of a Spaceship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:57:24 GMT

In lugnet.build, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Heya guys,

Right now I’m planning on building a large “science factual” spaceship with a rotating centrifugal-gravity hab-ring.

Design Drawing

I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints/suggestions/how-to for powering the rotating section. The Hab-Ring is going to be made with click hinges into an octagon - obviously it is going to be studs-in (mostly). I want to have removable panels along the walls of the HabRing so people can see the interiors

The counter weight ring needs to turn in the opposite direction as the main Hab-Ring. The whole thing will stand on a large base of some sort.

Questions:

Will I be able to run both rings off of the same motor? Will the motor be strong enough?

Most probably - assuming the rings are both balanced all you need to overcome is friction. And they won’t be spinning all that fast.

   If the single motor isn’t strong enough to run a single ring, can I use two motors in tandem? How?

Yes you can - you can connect as many motors you like in parallel. Their output shafts can be connected with gears, as long as you connect them in the right direction, and I would advise not using worm gears between the motors and the common output.

Also note that the 2 rings don’t have to run at the same speed either - it is likely the counter-rotation ring would turn faster than the main ring, so it doesn’t need to be as heavy to cancel the angular momentum. Although it would probably look better if they were close.

ROSCO