 Space / 35492
Re: Hail to the new piece! (also some bot contest entries)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:49:58 GMT

The Lost In Space robot is fantastic!

DinosaurDave

"Stephen Pakbaz" <pakbazsc@rose-hulman.edu> wrote in message
Hello all!

Its not often I post but I just had to give Lego some praise for finally • making
the single piece that I have been wanting them to make for almost nine • years.
I'm referring to the new 1x2 plate with a horizontal bar that comes in the • new
Millenium Falcon set.  Its my new favorite piece.  Its great for making • small
hinges and is even better for making robots.  As cool as the falcon looked • when
assembled it was less than a day before my droids had salvaged every one • of
those new hinge elements to try them out for themselves.  Below is a link • to my
robot contest entries modelling the new piece along with a few other • robots I've
made.  The folder also has descriptions of the robots.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=davehal2061>

Hope you enjoy them and feel free to make as many as you want of your own. • My
goal has been to make droids that are the same size and appearance of • minifigs
without using minifig parts (with the exception of minifig gear).  Since • most of
the minifig universe I've seen was made for minifigs a minifig-like robot • would
be able to adapt and function more easily than most other robots.  They • would
also be able to easily take over any menial task previously performed by
minifigs.  After all, one robot that can perform a thousand tasks or • chores
would be better than one thousand robots that only perform specific tasks.
These robots aren't meant to take over jobs and put minifigs out of work, • but
perform tasks and chores that minifigs wouldn't want to do anyways and go • places
that would be too dangerous for minifigs to go.  Perhaps the only thing • these
droids can't to is fleebnorking.  Robots have power cells too you know. • Enjoy
the photos and let me know what you think!

- I have never encountered anything that could not be modelled in Lego

    -Stephen Pakbaz