 Space / 35488
35487  |  35489
Subject:
Hail to the new piece! (also some bot contest entries)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:27:02 GMT

Hello all!

Its not often I post but I just had to give Lego some praise for finally making
the single piece that I have been wanting them to make for almost nine years.
I'm referring to the new 1x2 plate with a horizontal bar that comes in the new
Millenium Falcon set.  Its my new favorite piece.  Its great for making small
hinges and is even better for making robots.  As cool as the falcon looked when
assembled it was less than a day before my droids had salvaged every one of
those new hinge elements to try them out for themselves.  Below is a link to my
robot contest entries modelling the new piece along with a few other robots I've
made.  The folder also has descriptions of the robots.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=davehal2061>

Hope you enjoy them and feel free to make as many as you want of your own.  My
goal has been to make droids that are the same size and appearance of minifigs
without using minifig parts (with the exception of minifig gear).  Since most of
the minifig universe I've seen was made for minifigs a minifig-like robot would
be able to adapt and function more easily than most other robots.  They would
also be able to easily take over any menial task previously performed by
minifigs.  After all, one robot that can perform a thousand tasks or chores
would be better than one thousand robots that only perform specific tasks.
These robots aren't meant to take over jobs and put minifigs out of work, but
perform tasks and chores that minifigs wouldn't want to do anyways and go places
that would be too dangerous for minifigs to go.  Perhaps the only thing these
droids can't to is fleebnorking.  Robots have power cells too you know.  Enjoy
the photos and let me know what you think!

- I have never encountered anything that could not be modelled in Lego

    -Stephen Pakbaz