 Space / 35438
Re: EBKD Aurora Science Vessel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:41:24 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

Building Notes
This isn’t my best work by far. The general concept of the Aurora is a continuation of an idea I had on the Duvernay and the Kalashnikov - essentially using angled walls and corresponding angled ceilings. The Kal using the angled on both sides, up and down - but only for 16 studs long. The Aurora does it the whole distance of the main hull. The trade-off is that I’m using a “House of Plates” concept and I have all those studs. I don’t think it looks bad, but some do. (Tiles to cover it is not really an option).

The underside is completely undone because 1. this thing aint exactly swooshable, therefore the underside is essentially unviewable. 2. This is not gonna last a while. It is going to Fest (hopefully) and then it is going in the trashbin to become my next ship project. 3. A plated underside would only have been more fragile, and everytime i touch this thing something falls off, so I wanted to limit fragility.

The ship breaks into three pieces.. fore, midship, and aft (engines) for ease of transportation and storage. I built the main hull a long time ago and have just never finished it til I started working again last week.

I saw this on brickshelf last night and am impressed by the consistant design of the hull and sheer scale (you rival Keith!).The largest design flaw I observe is the size of the engines. I know this is a scientific vessel but, all the same they seem way underdone. Good work!

-Joseph