 Space / 33645
Re: What is Best in Life?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 23:07:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren wrote:

   However, from a practical point of view, a three legged bot isn’t very, um, practical.

Actually, now that I think a bit more about it, even walking would be impossible with that configuration.

It probably uses magnets in some hitherto unknown fashion. ;-)

It could ‘walk’ if it could lower the centre to the ground and then swing the legs to the next position, which gives new meaning to the word ‘ungainly’ hehe...I can picture it now, its enemies are neutralized by convulsive laughter leaving them defenceless again its death blow.

Clearly we are meant to quiver in our boots and not ponder such banal details. In that spirit I must say well done Jon. The legs are awesome, and 3 eyes...very spooky.

I do side with Allister here; go for five legs. It will still be spiderlike(1) and even more, um, practical.

A ‘practical’ application occurs to me; if the range of motion allows, the centre could drop ‘body-slam-wise’ on the unsuspecting, or be used to pound posts(2) into the ground. (well, you did say ‘crush your enemies’)

Peace and spiders,

Professor ‘boy, do I have a lot to catch up on’ Whateverly

(1) Check the daddy-longlegs in your yard if you have any; many of them are limping along on whatever they have left. It’s a jungle out there.

(2) That’s fence posts, sheesh...