 Space / 32724
Re: Military spaceships classes and types
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:55:15 GMT

"Lenny Hoffman" <lahoffma@*NOSPAM*mailer.fsu.edu> wrote in

If there is already another standard for naming military spaceships,
i would like to know it.  Thanks.

As far as concerns LEGO Spaceships - there is no standard.  Mainly
because the size restictions for even the smallest warship
classification is larger than is really build-able in LEGO.

A naval frigate is ~300 feet long.  If we take 1 stud= 1 foot, then
Dan Jassim's Dragonstar is only 163 feet long.  And crew size is also
much less - with a frigate having at least a hundred, while the
Dragonstar has less then twenty.

A full sized Battleship (800 ft) would be 800 studs long, which is
twenty feet long!  Definitely out of the scope of all but the largest
collection.

So far, the best way of classifying LEGO spaceships is along two lines
- first by purpose (an escort vs. destroyer) and then by the builder's
personal universe (if they want it to be a dreadnought, then it is a
dreadnought).  Otherwise, there is the classification of a 'SHIP' -
meaning larger than 100 studs, then divided into 'class' based on the
length of 100.  100-199 is Class 1, 200-299 Class 2, so on and so
forth.

On the subject of military classification, the Eastern Block has an
interesting dilema - our Kosmos Directorate is modeled on the Army
rather than the Navy - and therefore doesn't recognize 'ships' per se.
Our forces are divided between assault shuttles (like the Zhukov) and
larger warcraft (like the Kalashnikov) - and altho I will sometimes
refer to them as ships, the term isnt actually correct.  It's just
there isn't really a better term.

-lenny

Far from me the idea of imposing a size restriction with the name.
People who play LEGO without having tons of bricks (like me) could still
call a ship a carrier even if it was only 30 studs long as long as the
purpose is the same (craft transport).  I added the size for comparing
purposes with real-life navy ships.  In the .space version of theses
classes, you can see the only hint to size is "class x is smaller than
class y".  If you want to make a corvette longer than a cruiser, go ahead
as long as the purpose of the ship is the same as the class.

The general size reference is only a guideline to help create MOCs for a
common universe with sizes not out of proportion.  A guy could create a
carrier 200 studs long and then decide to create a cruiser to escort it.
Comparing the sizes of the two classes, he could then decide to make his
cruiser 150 studs long since a cruiser is generally smaller than carrier.
The same could be said with miniMOCs.  I could design a corvette 3 studs
long, then a frigate 5 studs long and a carrier 12 studs long with 1x1
tiles as fighters.

Ex a:  Corvette A
Weapons: 2 laser cannons, 2 missile launcher. (good for fighter disposal)
Purpose: escort

That, in my mind would be a good name. Note that there is no reference to
the size of the MOC.  It could be 8, 20, 100 studs long.

Ex b: Corvette B
Weapons: 2 turrets with 3 heavy laser cannons, 4 missile launcher.
1 x Shuttle bay: 2 troop dropships
2 x Fighter bay: 8 fighters

Here it is quite clear that the purpose of this MOC is craft
transportation.  Thus, naming this MOC as Carrier B would be better.

Hope this clears this misunderstanding.