 Space / 32364
Re: The Slick Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:40:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Tony Hafner wrote:
   Here’s Slick Octan in his racer, the Slick Brick. And before you start, I know it isn’t Octan colors. Read the page for the explanation if you care.

I don’t post here often, but I loved this MOC. I love the methods you used to achieve studlessness (SNOT instead of tiles).

I was digging it through the first 12 pictures, but number 13, the landing gear, is what got me to reply. The way it is concealed is simply amazing. It was one of those instances where my jaw actually dropped. The cockpit is also great, with so much crammed into such a small space.

Very original idea with the engines, but I don’t really like the engines themselves. They seem too bland compared to the rest of the creation. Of course, it’s hard to do anything too exciting within the confines of a 2x2 cylinder.

To sum up: excellent.

Wow- thanks a ton! The SNOT construction was an integral design choice because otherwise I’d have to tile a huge surface below the canopy and this seemed much cleaner. The implementation turned out to be a lot more work, but it did pay off. The multiple-door arrangement for the landing gear just kind of happened because I kept realizing that I needed more room. But I’ll keep it in mind in the future. I’m learning more and more that details like this get easier to build every time you try.

Now, for the engines... that’s a good call. I knew that I could tack on any ol’ engines later as long as they fit the spaces provided, so I finished the whole body before even starting on the engines. They didn’t get as much reworking as the rest of the model. I’m still thinking of doing yet another set, but don’t have any great ideas. And I can’t believe it, but it never occured to me until now that I could also swap in some big weapon pods...

   PS: Construction pics would be excellent as well

Yes, I have plans for that. I would have shot them this time, but I don’t want to disassemble it until I’m ready to ldraw it- I’m not convinced I can easily put it back together. Hopefully I’ll get that done next week some time. And I’ll have to remember to cross-post to schleim.

AndroDan
   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com