 Space / 32296
32295  |  32297
Subject:
P-38 Contest Entry: SA-380 Dragonfly MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 05:36:02 GMT

Hello,

I’ve finally gotten around to posting pictures of my entry for the space P-38 contest.

(click the pic for post mod b-shelf folder)

This craft is an attack fighter/light bomber. Similar to the A-10 attack aircraft of ancient Earth, this ship is designed to be survivable. The widely spaced star drives make it very unlikely that a single hit will take out the ship’s propulsion systems. The main fuselage is heavily armoured and the twin tail booms are loaded with all sorts of ECM gear. The large tail planes serve as radiator surfaces helping to keep the ship’s heat signature away from the main fuselage.

This prototype is equiped with two high-output pulse cannons alongside the main fuselage and 4 light blaster cannons on the wing tips for straffing against lightly armoured targets. The two spam-antispam torpedos are capable of acheiving a mission-kill against heavy cruiser class capital ships. Smaller destoryers or corvettes are often destroyed outright.

The ship is capable of flight in zero-g and atmospheric environments. The VTOL-vents and vectored thust flaps on the underside of the engine pods can be activated in flight to increase maneuverability.

builders notes:

I was trying to follow the classic p-38 lines as close as possible. This ship incorporates many schliem building techniques to achieve its shape. I tried to minimize the exposed studs as much as possible. I also worked very hard to come up with some original landing gear that folds completely away when not used. Another cool feature that I tried to work in is a completely sealed cockpit while having the canopy hinged. The only thing I don’t really like is that the cockpit is very deep and the pilot can barely see out. However, if I boosted the pilot’s seat the canopy wouldn’t close. Also, the cockpit less detailed than I would have liked but using the pre-fab lower cockpit piece didn’t give me alot of options. As usual, I also stuck with a very classic-space-esque color scheme to pay homage to my favorite theme. One last thing, I should give credit to Dan J. for the engine-glow idea and overall engine pod design ideas.

Overall, this MOC was very fun to build, and Jon P. must be commended for originating this extremely inspiring contest. There have been so many great entries so far; I would really hate to have to pick the winner.

Hope you all enjoy, drc