 Space / 32356
Re: P-38 Contest Entry: SA-380 Dragonfly MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jean-Pascal Rignault wrote:
   Hi Douglas,

I went on BrickShelf to check it, it’s a very nice P38 you designed. It is almost studless, SNOTed (MORVEd :-))everywhere. I especially like the use of the blue 1x3x12 slope on the sides. Among the contest entries, I think this is one of the closest to the original P38 design.

The blue 1x3x12 wedges really give the fuselage a nice smooth shape that blends well from the nose to the “wings”. I really was aiming for a very P-38 like design, but not exactly like a P-38. I am happy with the way it turned out.

My only concern is the position of the central body carrying the cockpit :

I would have tryed to put it a little bit backwards.

Not sure what you are saying here? Are you suggesting that the cockpit be moved toward the rear of the central fuselage? I had thought about that since it would have allowed alot of room forward for a huge cannon or something (and be more true to a real P-38), but they way the ship is constructed, that would have made it impossible to build the wings and landing gear the way I did. As I was building this, I kept thinking that the front end looked way more like an A-10 or something than a P-38. I had considered putting a rear gun turret on the rear fuselage where the greebles are but decided that would look way too much like the GI Joe-Cobra Rattler. I might try to re-use the forward fuselage design in an A-10-ish MOC.

I think I saw some rubber band in the detail pics of the side landing gear. What are they for?

The rubber bands provide tension to snap the gear into place in the extended or folded positions. Otherwise, the main gear had a tendancy to hang out when folded or have a tendancy to not support the weight of the ship when extended. The rubber bands go through a 1x1 hole and are anchored in the central fuselage. It works really well, but made assembly very difficult. Also, since lego rubber bands tend to deteriorate very rapidly, I will have to eventually replace them if I leave the MOC together for an extended period of time.

Glad you enjoyed my MOC, and thanks for taking time to comment.

drc