 Space / 31794
31793  |  31795
Subject:
Building Technique Innovative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:10:31 GMT

Hi Folks-

So, I'm just wrapping up a small MOC project, and as I sit back to think about
it, I note that while I'm generally pleased about how it turned out, I don't
think that it's particularly innovative in its design. (I'll post some pics when
I get some time).

Anyway, It got me to thinkin' about what have been the most significant "design
innovations" that have been introduced to the Lego building world.  I'm more
inclined towards space and military models, so that's the context in which I
tend to think, but here's a few that I consider to be the really significant
innovations of the past...however long (Not in any particular order).

SNOT: I think this absolutely changed the way we build models.  By breaking the
paradigm of "stacked bricks" people were able to develop radical new designs
using far more creative geometries and construction techniques.

Moonbase:  Despite the recent complexities of multiple levels, monorails and
trains, the basic concept is still very simple:  Build *anything* you can dream
up, but build it around standardized connection points for universal
compatibility.  Certainly, there isn't a Brickfest that hasn't been the same
since.  The spread of the concept into the castle world speaks of the
inspirational effect of Moonbase.

LDraw: Those of us who began building over 20 years ago may remember an age
where we could only dream of a computer program to generate instruction sets for
our MOC's.  The brilliance of James Jessiman has blossomed far beyond what I'm
sure he could have imagined.  LDraw and its legacy has added a fantastic virtual
aspect to the plastic building world.

Part Integration:  Whenever somebody thinks of a unique way to use a particular
part, I'm always impressed.  These seemingly minor things often spark an idea
for something far more grand.  I particularly like it when somebody integrates
parts that are traditionally used in a different themes or entire product lines,
for that matter.  For example: Adding parts normally seen in "Town" MOCs to
Space Themed MOCs or Using Duplo elements. The recent application of Bionicle
masks to make hoverbikes is a perfect example.

LUGNET / MOCPages / BrickShelf / BrickLink, Etc:  Not exactly an building
innovation, but certainly deserves a mention.  The exchange of ideas through the
internet has certainly led to the explosion of imaginative and creative ideas
that we see every day.

Just thought I'd see what y'all thought.

Live it up,
-sb