 Space / 31524
31523  |  31525
Subject:
Space-craft design; was Re: Peether T-8 (Lightning contest entry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:14:28 GMT

   snip

However, when I look at the hyperaerodynamic Naboo spacecraft, I can see no purpose for those streamlined control surfaces other than aesthetics (which is rationale enough, isn’t it?).

If I remember correctly, I read something about the episode I design philosophy that stated something along the lines that technological evolution in the starwars universe has been at a plateau for several hundred/thousand years?? In that case, the design of the spacecraft & such reflected more aesthetic or economic purposes. In the case of the Naboo star fighter, its primary purpose was to serve as an honor guard/escort to the queen. As such, aesthetics of the craft were an important design consideration. At least I think I read something like that on starwars.com prior to the release of ep. 1.

So here’s a question: If we take aesthetics, aerodynamics, and mechanical/electronic limitiations completely out of the equation, what’s the most functional (i.e. “perfect”) design for a spacecraft? The cube? The sphere? The saucer? The Spiff saucer-and-bubble?

I would say a sphere is an optimal shape for two reasons. First, I think a sphere has the best volume:surface area ratio. This means a sphere would be more economical to build than a cube for the same volume. Also, spheres are much better at containing pressurized gasses/liquids than most shapes. Any shape that has two surfaces come together at an angle or corner, allow for a very high stress concentration to build up. A cylinder with spherical ends would also be very good.

I imagine that the crew portion or any other portion of a spacecraft that is pressurized would be spherical or cylindrical in nature. Portions of the ship that are not pressurized would then attach to the crew portions via struts, wings, or truss-like structures (would probably look very similar to ISS). This assumes that the craft would only reside in the vacuum of space and would not have to deal with atmospheric escape/re-entry.

enjoy, drc