 Space / 31496
Re: Peether T-8 (Lightning contest entry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:37:25 GMT

   SNIP

I am still looking for any inspiration for this contest, but the “wing in space” really got me stuck.

I personally don’t get offended by winged spacecraft since I am generally predisposed to finding aerodynamic looking shapes aesthetically pleasing. However, wings in space can serve legitimate functional purposes. I generally rationalize wing-like structures on a spacecraft a couple of different ways.

1. If the craft is small enough, it may be capable of trans-atmospheric and atmospheric flight. In that case, wings are completely useful and necessary (as in the NASA space shuttle).

2. Most people pack their spacecraft full of engines, sensors, electronics, weapons, and other assorted technological bits. Well, anything that consumes power will generate heat and that heat needs to go somewhere. Since there is no air in space they only way to dissipate the excess heat energy is to use large radiator panels. I like to think that large wing-like structures serve as excellent places to mount radiators for my spacecraft.

3. Another reason to put wings on a spacecraft is that extremely sensitive sensors may need to be mounted some distance away from the main body of the ship to limit interference from the ships own electronics and power sources.

4. Certain sensor systems may benefit from the ability to mount sensor input devices farther away from each other (i.e. on the wing tips). For example, certain types of radar perform better the bigger the antenna gets.

5. Wings make a good place to mount weapons. They expand a ships surface area & volume to provide mounting points for weapons. They also can help limit interference to other ships systems by mounting the weapon further away from the main body of the ship. The wings can also house radiators to help cool high power weapons systems.

6. Wings could be a good place to put shield emitters for similar reasons.

7. Mounting thrusters further away from a spacecraft’s CG will make that craft more maneuverable (and less stable) since rotational torque = force x distance. Thus putting thrusters at the wing tips will result in a quicker handling craft.

8. Wings could also be a good place to put high-efficiency solar panels for those who prefer to fly an emissions-friendly spacecraft.

9. Wings can be a good place to mount a spacecraft’s engines. It frees up valuable space in the main body for other things such as life support gear and beer. Mounting the engines further away from the ship’s main cabin my help protect the crew from dangerous radiation generated by the drive system. Lastly, there might be some pseudo-physics reasons that the drives need to be mounted on wings or pylons away from the ship in order to properly generate a warp bubble or something. (Thinking of star trek warp nacelles here... though not technically wings.)

10. Putting wings on a spaceship is not any goofier than putting skulls on a spaceship.

Hope that helps give you some ideas to get over your hang up about wings in space.

enjoy, drc