 Space / 31253
Re: It would be cool to have...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:49:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Ryan Wood wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Nathan Wells wrote:
   Agreed. One reason I deserted Space (for the moment) was that Classic-Castle is a friendly, easy-to-use site with a great community. Unlike .space, the C-C forum is very welcoming of members and there has been disputes among anybody, just good ol’ disscusion of LEGO Castle (although there has been quite alot of Jellybean Knight* bashing). The how-to articles are very helpful and there are fun little community projects like C-C Roleplay and C-C Picture Captioning.

.space, I feel, doesn’t have that type of community. There are alot of respected builders here (who build awesome MOCs, BTW) and it’s kind of hard for a new builder to get in.

I think it would be great to have a space website based on the structure of Classic-Castle.com.

I have to argue* against you on your point about new builders not being able to work their way into the community. I think the members here are incredibly welcoming. As soon as I started getting my stuff posted here (owe you some personal thanks for that, Nathan) several jumped right in to make me feel at home. I’m happy to call many of them my friends, and finally had an opportunity to meet a lot of them in person this past weekend at PDX.

One of those people was Lenny Hoffman, a man involved in both Castle and Space. Seeing him at PDX and his passion for both themes made me want to check out Classic Castle. I’ll be browsing it when I get the chance. I’m sure it’s every bit as friendly as you say.

--Ryan W.
  • I’m aware that arguing is exactly what you think we do too much of here. :p

I don’t think there’s really all that much argueing in .space.

I’m not sure about the new builder thing. I do believe that we can come off as elitist, though it’s not intentional.

One of the things that will need a lot of thought with a seperate ‘space’ site is how discussions will be handled. A lot of us here are perfectly happy with .space for that function. And actually dislike the idea of yet another forum to read. That would cause a split, but we need just the opposite.

So, if there’s a good way to tie-in lugnet.space with this other site, that would be good. On the other hand if we’re presented with something that completely blows lugnet’s forums out of the water, that might be the way to go. This is definently one of the main issues to work out.

--SteveR