 Space / 30075
Re: Et In Arcadia Lego: Fightin Phil
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:33:11 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog wrote:

Here it is, the Fightin Phil:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/panarch/Mocs-AllPics/FightinPhil

There are alot of things that jump out at me that I like about this ship. First, this is probably the best use of the x-wing canopy that I’ve seen so far. The lines of the ship flow very well. Its big and massive like a space faring vehicle should be (especially in the engine section). I like the studless look and all the design cues you took from Phil Painters work. The color scheme is good too.

All the SNOT work will take some time for me to absorb. Could you comment on how sturdy this ship is when it is assmebled. I really like SNOT designs but alot of times you have to sacrafice the model’s structural integrity (and swoosh-ability) to make it all work (espeically in small-to-medium size models).

The one thing I really am not sure if I like are the thruster cones. I appreciate the way you were able to mount the “engine glows” in them but their attachment to the rest of the ship (via single 1x2 plate) look very fragile. Secondly, to me, they do not seem to match with the rest of th ship’s design. The “frames” are very skinny and rectangular vs. the massive trapeziodal shaped midsection they are mounted to. The result is that the thrusters have a “spindly”, slapped-on look to them. This picture kinda shows what I am trying to say.

I think that they might look better if there was a way to match their design better to the overall look of the ship. Like if they were trapezoidal shaped rather than rectangular. Don’t get me wrong here; The only reason I’m harping on the thrusters is that the rest of the ship is so good. I know that designing engines/thrusters that look good is very difficult, especially when deliberately trying to avoid using “traditional” parts such as the round cylinders, engine cones, wheel hubs, etc.

I actually like the forward cannards on this ship. They add a bit of balance to the design which has a lot of mass concentrated at the rear of the ship. In my opinion they could be bigger.

The only other comment is that on some of the more “mechancial/functional” bits such as the maneuvering thrusters could have been gray instead of white to maybe break up the color scheme a bit and give it a more used feel to it.

Just my opinions. Overall, great MOC drc