 Space / 2999
Re: new rendering type? someone else is doing it too
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 05:11:06 GMT

One flaw with this technique can be seen in the image:
Observe the sides of bricks which are seen almost
edge-on (so that the distance to the object from
pixel to pixel is large even for the same surface).
In particular, the front of the white brick at the
front of the space ship.  It is completely black, I think
because it triggers the edge-detection algorithm.

My rayshade patch (mentioned elsewhere) detected edges by
looking for multiple objects within one pixel.  The problem
with it was it would create edges even when two polygons
were flush against each other (like how the top of an LDRAW
stud is made of many triangles).  A combination of the
techniques, where the edge is suppressed if the object is the
same, would fix the blacked-out-surfaces seen in the image.

-gyug

In lugnet.space, Ben Vaughan writes:
In lugnet.space, Patrick Justison writes:
Looks like Ben is not the only game in town.

Pat J
www.plscp.com

(snip)

Ooooo!  Nice!  I'll have to find out if he's doing it the same way.

Ben

Ben Vaughan
buster@marsbase.com
http://www.marsbase.com