 Space / 27426
Re: Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:38:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Yup, I just got my Saturn V moon landing set.
However, I cant figure out where to put the 2 tan stickers or the white
sticker with the US flag (although I probobly put some of the other
stickers on a bit wrong, looks good enough to me anyway)

I just bought this set last night.

I've wanted a set _like_ this since as far back as I can remember.  I've always
been a fan of NASA's golden days.

The set is interesting... as are any sets with mixed scale models all together
like this.  (Hotwheels did a similar type of thing with the Pathfinder mission a
few years back).  All in all I like the LEM the best, followed by the Saturn V
rocket itself.  I wouldn't normally put stickers on bricks if I could help it,
but in this case I think it's integral to the look of the models.

Two things did stand out for me though... I wonder if anyone else noticed these?

1)  Shouldn't this set really be called something like the 'Apollo Moon Landing
Set'?  Since the entire program was called Apollo.  'Saturn V' really describes
only one of the 4 models in the set.  But all those models were in one way or
another part of the overall Apollo program.

2)  On the box and in the 'Inspiration' book (of which I really like the
concept) there are some interesting shots of the rover.  The mast-mounted
antenna (which is properly placed in the instructions) is shown as being at the
back of the rover in most of the glam shots.  It's as though the folks who build
the models for the photographers don't quite know how to follow directions.  ;)

All in all, a nice set.  I think the LEM would look great sitting on one of the
old crater plates from the early space sets.  :)

Regards,
Allan B.