 Space / 25396
Re: Down, but not out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 04:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kirby Warden wrote:
I'm going to stop spending money on Lego and my other hobbies until I have a
quality digi-cam.  That's all there is to it.  It could take two months, it
could take another two years (if current luck holds out...).

     The camera I bought (Fujifilm FinePix 2400Zoom) is about as basic as you'd
probably want to get, and it cost about $300 two years ago (you should be able
to get something better for the same price by now, or about the same thing for a
lot less money).  Minimum requirements that you should look for include the
following:

AC adapter port (dealing with batteries for studio work is annoying at best, and
this is dirt cheap as options go)

3x _OPTICAL_ zoom (no digital froofrah unless it has at least 3xOZ)

removable storage media (doesn't matter much what kind, as long as you can swap
in something bigger when you need to...but try to avoid floppies or CDs if you
can)

2+ megapixels (you'll want at least this much if you ever need to crop something
out of the original image, but you'll need to be able to resize the image down
to something managable if you don't need to crop anything)

macro focus mode (essential for closeup work, preferably with a minimum range of
6" or less)

tripod mount (also essential for closeup work, if you care about getting sharp
images)

LCD viewscreen (if you're using an AC adapter, you won't have to care about the
extra power drain)

     Other things you should consider include the following:

battery type (AA batteries are great if you ever plan to travel, since you can
always buy alkalines at a convenience store, and rechargable AA batteries can be
quite inexpensive)

manual/auto focus (auto is great for most studio work, but there are still times
when I wish I had a manual focus)

F-stop adjustment (don't have one, but as I understand it, this feature allows
you to increase the total "in-focus" range by reducing the photo aperture)

USB download cable (docks aren't bad as an extra, but it's nice to be able to
check your photos while leaving your camera attached to a tripod)

external flash port (because you should avoid using an onboard flash when
photographing glossy plastic bricks with large flat surfaces, and an external
flash is the only portable solution)

color quality (it's actually a fairly big concern, but you might not have an
easy time finding stores that will let you "test drive" their cameras to see
what kind of images they produce, so you should probably pick a few cameras in
your price range and check as many product reviews as you can)