 Space / 25383
Re: The Derotatinator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:57:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jennifer L. Boger wrote:
   Quoting Richie Dulin rdulin@REMOVEmla.com.au:
   I suspect that the water shifting from side to side counteracts the moon’s lack of rotation (through the conservation of energy), thus stopping it exploding. Where the moon may run into trouble is if we get another ice age here on earth, and the oceans freeze.

-blink-

Wow. Ok, It’s taken me a long time to figure out just how I want to approach this.

1) the water shifting side to side - how do you think this happens if not from the gravitational pull of the moon - thus proving the moon has gravity, nevermind the fact that men and space craft were able to land and walk and hop around on it.

It’s like a pendulum, I guess, but in space (which is where the earth is), there’s no friction, so it just keeps going - backward and forward ad infinitum.

The sea monkey explanation was a good one too, just not the right one. IMO.

   2) counteracts the moon’s lack of rotation? through the conservation of energy? ok, first explain those, then you’ll have to explain:

The energy from the moon’s initial stopping started the tides! (You don’t think pendula just start, do you? That would be crazy!)

   3) thus stopping it from exploding?

Ok, lemme make sure I’m following this:

water. gobs and gobs of water, on a planet 240,000 miles away is just shifting back and forth, for no apparent reason on a fabulously regular tide system.

Correct. See above.

   This water conserves energy - i don’t know what energy, because moving that much water sounds like a gigantic WASTE of energy, to me...

No wasted energy, because there’s no friction in space!

   through that unknown conservation - it counteracts the lack of a moon’s rotation? uhh... how? what’s to counteract when there isn’t a rotation? What would happen if there *was* (and there is) a rotation - in your theorey? it stops it from exploding?

Exactly. The earth spins, but does not explode. The moon does not spin, but does not explode because of the tides.

   Why does the moon want to explode in the first place and what would the tides on earth have anything to do with preventing it?

All revolving bodies explode if you stop them from moving, so the moon really, really wants to explode.... it’s just that the energy from the rotation went into the earth’s tides rather than the explosion.

   you said: “Where the moon may run into trouble is if we get another ice age here on earth, and the oceans freeze.”

I don’t know if you noticed, but you said “if we get another ice age” implying we’ve had some before - which, as far as I know, we’ve have - a few of them. Giant glaciers and what not. Moon’s still here, didn’t explode then, right?

That’s easy to explain - the oceans did not entirely freeze in the ice ages we’ve already had (I said “if we get another ice age here on earch, and the oceans freeze note the added emphasis).

Cheers

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique