 Space / 25367
Re: The Derotatinator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:38:59 GMT

Quoting Richie Dulin <rdulin@REMOVEmla.com.au>:

In lugnet.space, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
I commented that it was convenient to have a Foccault's Pendulum near my
workplace, so I could check from time to time that the earth was still
rotating. Others noted that there would be other signs of the earths lack • of
rotation - the most intriguing was that the earth would explode (really! • I
didn't believe it at first, either).

I'd thought that there might be some day/night problems, weather • anomalies
and so on, but discussion revealed that the earth would, in fact, explode • if
it stopped rotating.  I think the reason given was that gravity would • stop.

Could you explane this, please?

I'm no scientist, but I'll give it a go anyway...

As you might know, the moon stopped spinning
a long time ago (it's always showing the same side to earth) It hasn't
exploded, and it's still shifting huge bodies of water (known as tides) • here
on earth, proving that it still executes gravity.

I suspect that the water shifting from side to side counteracts the moon's
lack
of rotation (through the conservation of energy), thus stopping it
exploding.
Where the moon may run into trouble is if we get another ice age here on
earth,
and the oceans freeze.

*blink*

Wow.  Ok, It's taken me a long time to figure out just how I want to approach this.

1)  the water shifting side to side - how do you think this happens if not from
the gravitational pull of the moon - thus proving the moon has gravity,
nevermind the fact that men and space craft were able to land and walk and hop
around on it.

2) counteracts the moon's lack of rotation?  through the conservation of energy?
ok, first explain those, then you'll have to explain:

3) thus stopping it from exploding?

Ok, lemme make sure I'm following this:

water.  gobs and gobs of water, on a planet 240,000 miles away is just shifting
back and forth, for no apparent reason on a fabulously regular tide system.
This water conserves energy - i don't know what energy, because moving that much
water sounds like a gigantic WASTE of energy, to me... through that unknown
conservation - it counteracts the lack of a moon's rotation?  uhh... how?
what's to counteract when there isn't a rotation?  What would happen if there
*was* (and there is) a rotation - in your theorey?  it stops it from exploding?
Why does the moon want to explode in the first place and what would the tides
on earth have anything to do with preventing it?

you said:

"Where the moon may run into trouble is if we get another ice age here on earth,
and the oceans freeze."

I don't know if you noticed, but you said "if we get another ice age"  implying
we've had some before - which, as far as I know, we've have - a few of them.
Giant glaciers and what not.  Moon's still here, didn't explode then, right?

Jennifer