 Space / 2443
2442  |  2444
Subject:
Mark's Lego Creations Design-A-Civvie Contest (rev B)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 05:26:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi Everyone!

Ok, I posted this last friday, but I've decided to re-post and extend my
deadline so more people can participate. I also eliminated the
one-submission-per-category limit, so you guys can submit as many as
you want!

I haven't decided on prizes yet, so don't ask..  :^) Most likely they'll be
some small and inexpensive sets.

OK, now for the official rules:

Mark's Lego Creations Design-a-Civvie Contest

Have you ever noticed the "Regular Joe" who gets shoved aside as the
Hero chases (or runs from) the Villain? Have you ever wondered what
kind of Space Car he drives? Well, I have, and I'm holding a contest in
honor of John Q. Public of Sci-Fi movies. Most Sci-Fi vehicles are
bristling with weapons and modifications galore. I want to see your
original creations of the sedans, minivans, and garbage trucks of the
future. Show me what kind of Space Car John drives. Show me the
Spaceliner he takes when he's on vacation. Show me the Air Ambulance
that whizzes him to the hospital when he's had one too many Pan
Galactic Gargle Blasters.

- Contest Rules:

- Contest entries will be accepted from Friday, June 9th to 12am (00:00)
Saturday, August 5th. Entries must be in the form of a .jpg or .gif photo,
even if they're done in LCAD. If you are able to host the photos on your
own site, this would be greatly helpful to me, as I have limited webspace
of my own. I will post a link to them from my site. Please send multiple
views of your model if you want me to be able to properly judge it. I can't
judge what I can't see.

- This is a contest for Non-military vehicles of the civilian sector. Any
vehicle that has a weapon of any kind will be disqualified. This includes
Space Police vehicles, which should be the kind to patrol civilian areas,
not the kind to defend the frontier from the Blacktron.

- No Movie vehicles. This includes anything from movie-related books,
magazines, roleplaying games, etc. I don't want 15 entries of the
Outrider. I want to see original, creative stuff.

- Entries may, however, be of a type or style used in a movie, i.e. you can't
make Anakin Skywalker's podracer, but you can make a podracer of your
own design. You can't make Korben Dallas's Air Taxi, but you can make
an Air Taxi of your own design.

- No buildings! This is a contest for vehicles. If your vehicle is also a
small restaurant or coffee stand, then it must be firstly recognizeable as
a vehicle. Buildings that have had engines slapped on them will be
disqualified. I don't want to see stationary objects that can move around...
I want to see vehicles that can stop to serve food (or whatever their
secondary purpose might be.)

-There will be one Grand Pize winner, selected from all entries. This will
be the winner with the greatest total number of points. See "Contest
Judging" below for details.

-Each category will be divided into subcategories of Microfig and Minifig.
Sorry, no Technic or Maxifig creations. I just can't afford to give prizes to
that many different winners.

-You may have more than one entry per category, but you cannot win
more than one category. I don't want one person dominating my contest.
:^)

- Contest Categories:

- Personal Vehicles

This category pertains to vehicles which would be used by a private
individual for personal use, like space-cars, recreational vehicles, etc.

- Commercial Vehicles

This category pertains to vehicles which would be used for making
money, like Air Taxis, Moving trucks, delivery vehicles, freighters,
shuttlecraft, spaceliners, construction, etc.

- Service Vehicles

This category pertains to vehicles used in a public service capacity, like
Police, Medical, Sanitation, etc.

- Racing Vehicles

This category pertains to vehicles used for racing of any kind. This can be
any sci-fi related racing vehicle, including podracer-style craft, space
racing, futuristic boats, etc.

- Contest Judging:

- Judging will not begin until the competition deadline.
- Results will be posted within 2 weeks following the competition
deadline.
- Prizes will be awarded as quickly as possible following the judging.

Here is a breakdown of how the judging works.

- There are a total of 100 points available

- 35 points are possible for the overall shape of the model. A perfect
score of 35 will only be awarded to a model which is, in my opinion, a
beauftiful composition of both form and function. This judging category
will be based entirely on shape, and not on color usage.

- 25 points are possible for engineering complexity. A model which is
nothing more than bricks stacked studs up would not acquire a high
score in this judging category, while a model with fully detailed interior
spaces, and many working features would likely score well. A perfect
score of 25 would require a model of significant complexity, with a
number of moving parts and functioning features, like landing gears,
boarding ramps, storage compartments, etc.

- 15 points will be allocated for use of color. Designs which make good
use of color and highlights will be given a higher score than designs that
are all one color. If a design is built to look like it's part of an
Official Lego
Space theme (ie Space Police, MTron, etc.), consideration will be given to
how accurately the design has followed other creations from that theme.
"Rainbowed" designs will receive a minimum score of 1.

Naturally, people using LCAD will have an easier time obtaining the
colors, but this category is judged on the -use- of color. It's just as
possible to make a poor design in LCAD as it is in real bricks.

- 10 points will be awarded for presentation. This includes such things
as lighting, image quality, use of a display stand to position the model,
use of background elements to put the model in a realistic setting,
modeling battle damage or wear, etc. I will also give consideration to
entries that have a background story, since that adds to the enjoyment of
the presentation.

It is important to note here that image quality plays an even more
important part in the judging than just in this category, as poor image
quality can hamper the ability to judge the merits of the model in all
categories.

Please see the Mecha --> Helldog section of my site for what I mean by
"poor image quality." It can happen to all of us, so be extra careful when
making your pictures.

- 10 points are awarded for design within scale. This pertains to issues
like "can that minifig actually fit through that door?"

- There are 5 points available for especially creative use of individual
elements, or the use of hard-to-use SPUDs or rarely used elements.

Thanks to Dave Thomas, Jr. at Master Grade Lego Models for the use of
these judging rules, which I borrowed and modified from his earlier
contest.

All entries should be emailed to me. Once again, if you can host your
own pics, that would be helpful to me. Thanks!

Good luck, and happy building!

~Mark

http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego