 Space / 23650
Re: Ice Planet 2002!!! Err, I mean 1993!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 10:58:22 GMT

Matt,

In lugnet.space, Matt Canales writes:
Darn, not many answeres... Hope someone answers with a different answer...

Actually, Sean's answer wasn't all that far from the truth:

In lugnet.space, Sean D. writes:
Probably because they thought that by 2002 we be in space age...

Many movies, books, toys etc. look ahead to the future (sometimes known as
'speculative fiction') and try to predict vehicles, buildings, tools,
clothing etc. that people *might* be using when that year arrives.  The
example I can think of that most people (who watch any TV at all) might be
familiar with would be Star Trek.  A story based on people from Earth, but
set well into the future.  Let's see if we're really on those types of space
ships when the story's time period arrives.  :)

Many movies over the years have also been set in what is known as 'near
future'.  Two quick examples:

a)  Escape From New York
b)  2001: A Space Odyssey

The year in which both of those movies was set has come and gone.  Little of
what was predicted came true.(1)  But that doesn't make them bad, or wrong,
or any less interesting.

The same could be said for your Ice Planet sets.  At the time, 2002 still
seemed like a long way off. (almost no Y2K talk back then)  So using it as a
label, or a fictional setting made perfect sense.  The fact that nothing in
the series of toys matches what we see today (or last year in this case) is
just a minor detail.

Oh well, most of my questions are still unanswered anyways :) Oh well!

Which ones?  From what I've seen, myself and others have answered (or tried
to) several of your recent questions.  Are there other outstanding ones that
you feel haven't been addressed?  :)

Best regards,
Allan B.

(1)  Although '2001' does predict a form of the World Wide Web and also
shows the use of video phones.