 Space / 22907
Re: MOC: The Buzzard.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:35:53 GMT

Absolutely...point well taken.  Paul Hartzog has brought this up before
concerning engine/frame to pilot size ratio, noting that modern convential
craft are very much oversized when compared some of the fighters of sci-fi.
I think the other thing that pushes the models smaller is the scaling down
of the toys of our youths to hit a determined price-point and packaging
target.  For instance, comparing the Kenner X-wing to it's movie
counterpart, it drops about 1/3 of it's girth in relation to Luke.  For me
anyways, this scaling seems to really have an effect on my own building.  My
challenge is to try and built up to 'real' scale.

I suppose the sticking point comes when MOC's really have no common frame of
reference....comes down to the builder's feel for what is right.  Since all
your creations to date have been excellent, your scale works exceptionally
well for you, as a viewer it therefore works for me!

Gets me thinking....maybe a version of the Buzzard in my own scale would be
fun....with full accredation, of course. ;)

Cheers,
-G

In lugnet.space, Philip Painter writes:

(snipage)

As far as making it a smaller fighter, I agree it would look like a real
stuntster, Gil.

I guess this is as best time as any to talk about my "scale." Not that I
measure in studs, but I've noticed what I consider to be a small-to-mid
sized fighter most call "heavy" (ex. Grey Goose).  The Killer Whale is
actually on the edge of medium and heavy. So the Buzzard seems pretty small
for an artillery buster. It's a bit larger and chunkier than a WWII plane,
but to me it still looks pretty small. And given its function, most of that
extra beef would be armor.

For instance, look at the size of the little man in the cockpit of an F-22,
a relatively small fighter:
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/f22/index.html

Obviously minifig is a difficult scale to work with. And with space travel
commonplace, miniturization should be advanced. But for my "Universe," which
by all means isn't well-established, the scale may be a bit larger than what
I've seen others do.

Anyhow, before I get to rambling too much, thanks for the comments and
suggestions everyone. I appreciate it.