 Space / 22772
Re: Idea: Starship Project.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 03:38:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren writes:
Thoughts: Popularity of Moonbase Project
         desire to build large spaceships, but lack parts/time to complete it

Proposal:
Modualrised spaceships. • SNIP
Comments and improvements please?

Cheers,
Allister

links:
dat file - http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/almac/ideas/shipmodule-1.ldr
pic - http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/almac/Ideas/shipmodule-1.jpg

The idea reminds me of a linear 'generation' ship that was on a Star Trek:
Voyager episode, though it wouldn't have to be linear, I know.  It would be
interesting to have something like a double or triple spine ship to fit loads
of modules on --maybe some 'wings' (I know they're not neccessary in space ;) )
to attach guns, sensors, etc. just to break up the overall form.  Should the
modules be based on the width of a 10" baseplate for the simple reason of not
having to buy loads of 'regular' .3 high plates?  I know I've done & seen
others use a 2x beam brick to support the edge of studs of a baseplate on one
row of studs (the baseplate rests on, does not snap on), with a 1x plate on the
other row of studs on the beam , with a second 2x beam that then snaps on top
of the edge of the baseplate & regular plate to secure the floor assembly:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jeff-S/Misc-Ideas/bpltbrck.jpg

Jeff