 Space / 21333
Re: Dragonstar!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 03:10:40 GMT

Jon,
     I admire your enthusiam and leadership in the .space world, and your
views are usually VERY thought-provoking.  But I hope you'll allow me a
small indulgence here.
     In your original reply to Dan's post you wrote as your opening line:
     "I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that I think you can
do better."
     You go on to make some interesting points, but with that abrupt
opening, you've lost the sympathy of the intended reader.  I think it might
not be stretching it too much to say that most of us, after having worked so
obviously hard on a project for which we were so obviously proud, would feel
quite let down with an opening that sounds so disappointed.
     Now, I know that you're not disappointed, and that you're offering your
ideas - as you should.  But you might consider (as I often do) asking a
friend or loved one to read a constructive criticism post before you post
it.  There are many times when what I've written looks right, but when
somebody else reads it, they notice something about it that I never did
intend to say.
     It's not that you meant to make Dan feel bad - I so don't believe that
you would want that, because you seem to be all about community and the
great group that is .space and LUGnet.  But think how you'd feel if, after
presenting the Portable 'Bot Factory idea, someone had replied to your post
with "I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that I think you can
do better."  No matter how good the ideas later in that post might be, I
believe most people would be hurt by this opening, even if that wasn't the
intention, and it's a good bet that the rest of the post would be viewed as
possible veiled negativity.
     Again, I want to say that I usually admire your thoughts, and I'm
definitely glad that you're the .space curator.  I just wanted to share my
thoughts on why your post could possibly have caused such strong reactions.
Please keep up the good work, and please keep sharing your thoughts.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander