 Space / 21309
Re: Feedback thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:57:28 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes:

I would add that we should not equate "honesty" solely with serious or
critical remarks that border on being terse and inflammatory. I'm sensing an
attitude shift in this group toward discrediting enthusiastic and positive
comments about MOCs, as if they're somehow "less honest" or less
constructive. And I'm also sensing the beginnings of conformity and elitism
and we don't need that either. I hope I'm wrong and just overreacting (as I
know I often do!).

I agree.  I've had some very useful 'honest' feedback that gave me a lot of
great ideas.  But I've also seen some responses in which the critical
remarks are often like this:
'Sorry, I just don't like it.'
This is very unuseful, since the person never actually offers any help on
how it could be improved, and dosn't even add a positive remark at all.
This can leave some people, especially newbies, rather put down.

Some times it escelates into something bigger and much more inflammatory...
but thankfully it dosn't happen much.

I think that conformity and elitism has been around for a long time.  It's
not as bad as in some other forums, but it is still a factor.  In this post
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=39989
somebody rather over-reacts to his lack of feedback, and mentions the
elitism idea.

-JHK