 Space / 20726
MOC: The Hummingbird
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:39:35 GMT

The Hummingbird

Are you tired of aircraft compromises? Do you have multiple
locations where you can't afford a landing strip for fixed wing
aircraft, yet are tired of paying expenses for rotary craft? Are your
locations too far apart for rotary craft, yet fixed wing craft just aren't
convenient? The end of compromise is here!

Bricking Vertol is proud to announce the availability of the
Hummingbird for the civilian market! After years of excellent service
in our armed forces, you too can now own a Hummingbird.
Combining the hovering and landing ability with the high subsonic
speed of a fixed wing aircraft, the Hummingbird can transport a pilot
and three passengers in speed and style, with lower cost running
expenses. Bricking Vertol brings years and years of VTOL experience to the
marketplace, in the picture to the right you can see the
Hummingbird in the foreground, and the prototype plane taxiing in the
background.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ghaberbe/hum.htm

Or see the Hummingbird in action!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ghaberbe/hum02.htm

Builder's notes:

Yes, it's very reminiscent of the twin pods cloud car, but I don't claim
that as a conscious design decision, I just wanted a single engine VTOL
craft, and my first design (in the background of the first page) was very
ungainly. On the other hand, since I saw The Empire Strikes Back many
decades ago in my formative youth years, I'm sure it has had some influence
on me.

I'm taking the pictures with my daughter's Jam Cam, a cheap (~$30) 640x480
flash camera that I'm pretty happy with, for the cost. I'm still striking a
balance between file size, once I get a server set up for my DSL line, I
should be able to include bigger, more detail oriented pictures.

I think I'm going to keep this one together for a long time, and will
probably bring it into my new office, when I move. I've decided to no longer
display offical models, and just concentrate on MOCS (plus, there's less to
move).

LMKWYT,

George