 Space / 19602
Re: A few spacey renderings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 17:57:22 GMT

Hi Andrew,

Nice stuff indeed. If I may, I'd like to share a few tricks that I've been
using lately.

Once I've generated the POV file, I now use mesh enhancer before actually
rendering it.

http://members.aol.com/elferwette/LDraw/

Chances are that not all the parts in the ldraw file are going to have a
LGEO counterpart - this little utility smooths out minfig faces and such,
greatly enhancing the illusion of reality (which the LGEO library does too).

As you probably know, the high rendering times of the pod (I like the 14hr.
scene) are due to the transparent materials. I know there is a way to avoid
this (or to fake it) but I am not sure how to  - yet.

In any event, the one parameter to change in order to speed things up is the
COUNT paramenter in POV's radiosity setting. Sometimes different COUNT
settings produce strikingly similar results - but in other cases the scenes
varies greatly between different settings. That is the one setting I play
with more often.

One other POV setting that you might want to check is assumed_gamma under
global settings - it allows you to greatly vary the contrast of the images.