 Space / 19464
Re: My first photoshop picture
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 20:46:45 GMT

Ah ha! A topic I something about!

First which edition of Photoshop are you using?

Ok step one: Light it up.
I aways bathe the moc's in a bunch light. It is a good idea to have a
*difused spotlight* to one side to give a sense of a light source. In
photoshop you can adjust the lightness or the darkness, the color saturation
anything you want really. All this can be found in IMAGE-->ADJUST. Don't use
the BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST it sucks. I adjust with the levels, it gives a much
nicer look. Sometimes after you get the lighting just right the colors may
be off, so use the HUE/SATURATION and COLOR BALAANCE to get the legos back
to their original tint. That takes care of that!

Alright, step two: make the stars.
The absolute easiest way to make a star field is to add NOISE. Start with a
plain black background. After you have that you add the NOISE. You will find
this under the FILTERS section. FILTER-->NOISE-->ADD NOISE. This will open a
popup box with a slider and three selection boxes. You want to set it on
MONOCHROMATIC and GAUSSIAN. Then all you have to do is play with the slider
until have the right amount of stars. I think around 25% looks the best!
To add the nebula stuff tha Jon has is a bit more complicated, but I can
explain none the less. You need a new layer first. Then pic a nice color and
use the air gun with the at about 50% and paint your general shape you want
for the nebula. then go to FILTER-->BLUR-->GAUSSIAN BLUR. You can adjust the
amount of blur with the slider. In this instance more blur the better! About
20% maybe? You then can tone it down by lowering the layer OPACITY. This is
located on the layers tool box thingy. You can also add lens flares and
other cool effects most which you can just play around with the FILTER section.

I think everyone covered the blaster fire, but the engine glow I think could
use more "glow" You can lighten the area of the engine and the glow trail a
little more and give the exhaust stuff a MOTION BLUR to make it look like
it's really shooting out fast.

I hop this helps a little!

*difused spotlight: a small positional desklamp covered with a thin white
t-shirt to difuse the direct light and give a nice soft glow.*

out
Tony Knaak
http://www.ozbricks.com/legostuff/index/index.html
http://www.ozbricks.com/legostuff/mechastruct.html

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman writes:
Here is a Tkhar fighter flying through space and shooting its blaster cannon.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/glencaer/Misc/tkharfly.jpg

Does it look realistic?
How does the blaster fire/engine glow look?
How is the Star background?
Any tips concerning lighting the original picture to make it look correct in
space?

Thanks all!
-lenny