 Space / 19093
Re: Not entirely clear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 20:25:09 GMT

In lugnet.space, Stephen Juby writes:
I'm also wondering whether Blacktron I models would have come equipped with
type 1 or type 2 1x1 modified plates with clip lights (Peeron numbers 4081a
and 4081b respectively) I'm guessing they're old enough to have come with
type 1s, but if anyone knows differently please do tell.

For the 1x1 modified plates with clip light, I can only say that they all
came as type 2 (with a thick ring) on my Blacktron I sets.
I guess we should have a look in the past to see in what year the type 2
modified plates 1x1 with clip light were introduced?!
When I look at the pictures on the box of the 1987 Futuron Monorail, I
notice type 2 modified plates only (thick rings).
But when I look at the instructions, I notice drawings of type 2 on the
monorail train and base, but I notice type 1 drawings on the containersled?!
(Although only type 2 plates are included in my copy of this set...)

Another look at the past of these modified plates 1x1 with clip light:
-The picture on the 1987 instructions of set 6828 (Futuron Twin-Winged
Spoiler) shows us type 2 clip rings, but the drawings show us type 1...
...again "not entirely clear...!"
-However, set 6926 Mobile Recovery Vehicle is the *only* 1986 Space set that
includes modified plates 1x1 with light clip. And both the pictures on the
box, the instructions ánd the instruction drawings show type 1 clip rings only!
However, I bought a MISB copy of this 1986 set only last year and when I
have another look at it (yes it is still build) I dó notice it came with
*type 2* clip rings!
Still, I think we can conclude -as far as concerned Lego Space- that we did
nót have type 2 plates with thick clip rings before 1987, because the little
catalogue inside the 6926 box is from 1987 which must have been the
production year of this 1986 set.

Now, when I go thru my Blacktron I instructions:
-I see only type 2 clip rings on the *1987* instructions of 6894 Invader.
This concerns both pictures ánd drawings.
-I see type 2 clip rings on the instructions front page *picture* of the
little vehicle that came with the 6954 Renegade, but I notice type 1 clip
rings at the instruction *drawings* of this vehicle.
These instructions also come from 1987.
-I see type 2 clip rings on the *1988, second release* instructions of the
6987 Message Intercept Base.
This concerns both pictures ánd drawings (the clips are at the little space
plane).

In my honest opinion (IMHO) I think the first sets that included type 2 clip
rings date from 1987.
By that I mean the production year of sets, because we can see now that only
pictures and instructions and a copyright date on the instructions don't
give any solid proof by itself!
And I think all Blacktron I sets that have these modified plates 1x1 with
clip light, actually include types 2 of them because there wasn't any
Blacktron I release before 1987.

Hopefully this answers your question!

And while I'm at it;
There are *two* different releases of the Blacktron I Base; the difference
concerns the way the opening roof panels (or hangar bay doors if you like)
are connected to the vertically placed, black 16x2 plates.
(They move up- and sidewards when you open the hangar bay).
The initial version uses black hinges 1x2, connected to a black/light grey
turntable plate 2x2.
The second release uses black Technic bricks 1x2 with hole on top of a black
plate 1x2 and connected to a black plate, modified with pin (downwards).

Here are some links to the particular parts for those of you who are getting
a bit lost:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3937c01
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3679c01
(initial version)
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3700
( http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3023 )
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2476
(second version)

So you see Stephen,

there are obviously differences between Blacktron I sets with the same set
number!
I know there are other Lego themes with sets that have the same things going on.
It probably all comes down to production dates and slight modifications by TLC.
We just get confused I guess because of different dates and years the Lego
Company has it's designs ready, gets it's pictures of sets taken, has it's
building instructions ready (or it's parts drawing software updated), has
it's new moulds ready, gives it's approval for newly produced bricks etc.
etc. all in order it to it's deadlines to be able to get the new sets on the
store shelves in time...

Greetings,

Erik Boons from Holland