 Space / 18739
Re: Pods are good! (caution: longish)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:32:15 GMT

I think the events you've described pretty much mirror a lot of people here
James....it does for me anyways.

I had lurked on the edges of the Lego on-line community for my dim ages,
perusing the Lego webring and Cool Sites of the Week etc for a few years on
and off.  It was coming across LUGnet that really got me back into it, and
in a big way. Inspired at first by the works for Messers Palmer, Sandlin,
Keppler, Justinson, Nassir, Jassim et al those years ago, I came to be
inspired by every builder on here, if only for their devotion to the hobby
despite the trials and pressures of everyday life.  Be it Pod, Neverwhere,
Alphabet, Nasal Avenger, or just a nifty captain's chair, anything that
brings people into this ABS oasis is a good thing.

Stump speech ended :)

Thanks for sharing your story,
-Gil

In lugnet.space, James Wilson writes:
I have to admit I've been in something of a "grey age" for a while.  The
threat of iminent "downsizing" at work tends to do that to a guy.  Over the
last few years, my building habits have usually gone something like this:
1) Get idea for MOC.
2) Start trying to build MOC.  Get disillusioned because parts aren't sorted.
3) Sort parts.  Get mad at cats/kids for messing up sorting.  Apologize to
kids (cats can lump it).
5) Weekend over now, back to work.  No more Lego for you!
6) Then, at work, get ideas about MOC.  Work on next steps in MLCAD when
Boss isn't looking.
7) Break out Legos on next weekend.  Get bogged down on MOC by playing
with kids instead of building _my_ project (no complaining about this one!).

And so it goes.  Usually I get halfway on something, or work out a
particular aspect of something I have in my head, but never finish it.

Then, along came the Pod fiesta in lugnet.space.  Yes, they're simple, but
something about them said, "build me."  So I started sorting.  Realized I
only had one 8x8 radar dish (how could that ever happen!) and ordered some.
Joined Lugnet (for real, with money and everything).  Started building.
Kept working on it on evenings and weeknds.  Kept sorting, and enlisted the
kids to help.  And finally, I finished a Pod.  It's nothing special, just a
98% copy of the pod Jamie Neufeld posted here:
except the colors are different, sort of a grey-dark grey-tan-black
mishmash.  Almost a "bondo pod."  And if I remember to, I'll take a couple
of pics.

But, the Pods pulled me out of my Grey Ages, because I'm still sorting,
still building the "Greatest Pod Ever" (R)(tm)(sm) :-)  At the rate I'm
going, it'll take until Memorial Day until I'm done, but the urge to build
is back, and isn't (always) overridden by "other stuff."

So, to all those who built Pods, posted pics, and defended the Pod movement
against those who threw stones, I would like to give a heartfelt Thank You.
I'm not sure my wife would agree, as now she has to deal with many smaller
containers rather than a couple of giant blue Rubbermaid containers full of
Lego, but a few shelves will help there.

Anyway, I'm building again, after several years off, and I attribute it to
the emergence of the Pod.  Thanks!
James Wilson
Dallas, TX
Lugnet #1783