 Space / 17969
Re: Personal Orbital Insertion Vehicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 05:31:24 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Brad Hamilton writes:

As the vehicle reaches the upper atmosphere, the fuel in the first stage
runs out and it is jettisoned.  The two small cylinders on the top hold
parachutes that are deployed during descent.  Thus, the first stage can be
recovered and reused for a future launch.

Brad, that's a cool rocket you have there.  Are the two stages liquid fuel
or solid fuel?  The rocket scientist in me has to know!

Once orbit is reached, the second stage is detached and glides back to earth
via an automated flight system.  The final capsule continues on to perform
satellite maintenance or to dock with the space station:

Once the mission is complete, the capsule glides back to earth.

And does the capsule have some sort of PSRE (Propulsion System/Rocket
Engine) to manuever in orbit?  Maybe some sort of liquid fuel system?

Anyway, I think it's awesome to see a space MOC that uses good ol' rocket
power, and doesn't simply rely on a science-fiction-y propulsion system (not
that there's anything wrong with that) to get out of a gravity well.

And for anyone in the West that saw the rocket contrail from the Minuteman
III launch on 19 Sep--that was my missile!

Derek