 Space / 15428
Re: Space Outing at BFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:17:03 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Walsh writes:

There are no admission fees at any of the Smithsonian Museums.  In fact, a
lot of things in DC are free.  The National Zoo is also free.  All of the
monuments are free.  The Treasurury is free.  If you grow up and live in the
DC area you tend to take this for granted.  When I went to Philly to go to
college I remember being dumbfounded about having to pay to go to the zoo.
The people I was with couldn't believe that the DC zoo was free.

Mike

In another post someone mentioned tax dollars paying for these museums. I
would just like to point out that though the US government HELPS pay for
these excellent museums, The Smithsonian Institution is not a government
agency and is supported primarily by the trust that started it and by
donations made by visitors like you. The 'membership' is a great thing if
you live in town, giving you EVEN more access to the museums and their
events, and is really only a charity donation if you don't live in town.

In regards to the Space 'luncheon', I have eaten there before and the
service AND food is much better if we go to the upper level. It tends to be
less crowded and is more like a restuarant than a cafeteria. I don't know
the head count of those going, but over 10 and the upstairs section may not
be able to seat us all.

Also, for those of you unfamiliar with the subway system, travel each way is
about $1.10. So to not waste money on a Metro Pass you won't finish, bring
small bills.

Aaron Sneary