 Space / 14909
Re: finally
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:49:39 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
well,
finally i respond,
and finally an amazing new ship in here.

Adrian, my hat is off. <bows>

Why thank you.

have you seen any Peter Elson art?  your ship just
screams Peter Elson.  the form and particularly the
biological markings (darth mauls' face, and Roger Dean's
work also are similar, all of which are drawn from marking
on tabby cats and grasshoppers and beetles and such

I really don't use other artists as my inspirations, at least not in a
direct way.  I have seen enough stuff in my time that when it comes to
working on a new project, most often the ideas either spring fully formed
from my mind (like the overall shape of the Blood Moon) or they are driven
by what pieces I have available (like the side windows and Slave 1 canopies
that make up the cockpit).  I am unfamiliar with Peter Elson's art.

and if that isn't enough, not only does it LOOK awesome,
its actually a cool ship.  greeblies and well planned
design.  I've been trying since the 70s to figure out
a way to do large windows on spaceships.  thank goodness
for your inspirational canopies on the front, its perfect.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't really plan this shape from the beginning, it
just sort of evolved.  I started with a pile of plates and made the general
shape of the rear wings.  From there the shape just sort of flowed forward
til I ran out of plates and decided that the entire ship was done.  I guess
that's why it looks organic :)

also,
here's a ship that uses the new curved pieces w/out pointing
out 'hey i'm using the new SW pieces'!!! its all integrated
and seamless.  So nicely done.

They're just another element.  I try to keep everything in balance, without
any one element getting to out of control (unless that's the point, like the
super-big tires on the Jeep Cherokee model) They're great elements.  Within
reason.

and finally (there's that word again...)
I REALLY REALLY REALLY love the way the 'panels' on the
wings are NOT symmetrical or the same from wing to wing.
You see this a lot in professional design and paintings
and its so hard to pull off in a lego ship. But you did
it exquisitely

That was originally driven by the fact that I didn't have enough plates to
finish the wings in a single color, so I was planning on just doing it
patchwork style and covering it up with bricks.  It ended up looking so good
I kept it that way.

thanks for sharing such an awesome ship,
if it breaks on the way to b-fest, i'll help you
rebuild it (i'd love to see HOW its built)

Except for the weapons and sensor arrays, this thing is built like the
proverbial brick s***house.  It has a technic keel that runs from the center
of the wing assembly to about halfway down the main body of the ship.  From
there, it's just a mass of bricks and plates.  The wings themselves are held
together with such a jumbled mass of technic beams that nothing short of a
thermonuclear war will knock them apart :)  Most of the ship is pretty
traditional construction, without too much SNOTwork.  The wings are
obviously studs out on both surfaces, accomplished with a metric crapload of
these:

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2436

and these:

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2434

which give me, when placed back to back, studs out on all 4 sides.

It really is a phenomenal challenge to build a ship this large and make it
stable enough to transport easily too.  It can be done, but the results use
a LOT of bricks, and you have to be careful that it doesn't end up just
looking like a big flying brick (unless that's your design intent).

Cheers
Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com