 Space / 13876
Re: Toradoch Systems Sol - Flare Clipper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:15:55 GMT

Hey Jon,

Many thanks for the kudos!  I would have to agree that it is not my favorite
ship aesthetically, but for some reason it's really grown on me.  There is
something about it's simplicity that is nostaligic for me....recalls the
days of watching Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, building manned rockets
for the Lanch Pad 920 (us483)!

Ever since I received my first major Brinklink purchase a few months back
with the Falcon saucer sections, I've wanted to build a sailing ship of some
sort.  After fooling about with the saucer-as-sail deal, it just looked too
clunky.  After I saw your O-wing and Transformers the Movie (for the first
time in 15 years): Unicron+O-wing+childhood rememberances....boom - the Clipper.

The cockpit originally was designed as the 2 cylinders clamshelling together
around a central spar, but it became wider than the grey wheel and made the
thing look more like a chopper than a needle.  I was actaully suprised it
came together as it did.  It's likely going to make another appearance if I
get back into some combat platforms again.  Stock trans canopies are both my
friend and nemisis...it's always a challenge to try and use them in
unconventional ways.

Distant laser eh?  Cool.  I remember seeing a documentary on that using a
high density ocillating beam to knock this jello-mold-looking-thing a 100
feet skyward.  Except for the line of sight issue, it's an amazing idea.
Then again, it would give a good excuse for building some interesting relay
satellites, which of course would need a defense force, which of course
would be threatened by heavily outfitted pirates, which of course......

Fun, fun, fun.

Cheers,
-G

PS. Trying (note:trying) to put together the basics for a light
freighter...my first lunge at a larger project......

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
Hey Gil.  I've been here and there for a bit but I figure its not too late
to reply on this. Interesting ship.  While I don't like this as much as some
of your other recent creations, it's still a very cool ship.  The over all
shape is very unique.  Oddly though, my favorite part of it is probably the
cockpit.  Something about the way it closes up I really like.

The concept of the ship is great too.  NOF ships, large or small or very
interesting to me.  I actually had plans for a solar sail alpha ship but
couldn't for the life of me figure out how that would make a good fighter
;-)

-Jon (whose next capital ship very well may be powered by a distant super
laser)