 Space / 13853
Re: SPACE FANS UNITE!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:27:51 GMT

"Markham Carroll" <mc_booga@yahoo.com> writes:
I noticed that they chose a VEHICLE.  I have heard somewhere that the Star
Wars contract dis-allows production of non-SW space craft sets.  Can anyone
tell me if this is correct or not?

The official story at least is that there is no such clause, but
rather that there are valid marketing reasions why they don't want to:
it would dilute the market for both the SW and non-SW sets because
people wouldn't necessarily buy both.  This is straight from the
horse's mouth (Brad Justus, senior VP of LEGO Direct) at BricksWest
this year.

I guess they figure that a ground vehicle wouldn't present such a
conflict.  Remember, almost all of the Life on Mars sets were
ground-based.  There was one air/space craft in the LoM line,
however...

--Bill.