 Space / 13609
Re: EYOT - Personal Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:28:01 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Greetings,

As I'm slowly trying to work out the larger pieces for a theme, the smaller
bits seem to be making their way out of the bins first....must be a
manifestation of my procrastination for the larger task at hand.

Anyway, here is a preliminary design for 1 person shuttle.  I wanted
something small that could fit onto a very small landing pad, or perhaps
even a magnetic rack.

After I built it, it looked very familiar.  I still haven't been able to
place it, so if I inadvertently have copied anyone's design, I apologize.
If anyone recognizes it, perhaps let me know so I can give credit where
credit is due.

   You're thinking of Mark Sandlin's _Neverwhere_, I think--if you
   haven't seen it yet, go take a look.  It's wonderfully inspiring,
   and still one of my two or three very favorite MOCs of all time
   (if not still my #1).

   I'll put it this way:  If Mark's ship is a giant burger, you've
   made a delicious Moon Pie.  (Which is, to me, what it looks like.)
   Can you tell who's been cutting back on the big meals lately?  ;)

Pictures aren't so great of what was a fun and surprisingly challenging
little blip to build.  Ah well....it's late.

   I really like it.  I can see the challenge--the dishes don't exactly
   have a lot of points of junction to build a stable structure from.
   But I think it came out quite nicely; are there any gaps anywhere in
   the structure, or is it closed all around successfully?  Can you take
   some "dissected" pictures to show us how it's built?  I'm thinking
   of appropriating it as inspiration for the Mk II EVA bugs for my
   ship--the bottom would allow arms to fold under very nicely, and it
   would define its own hull curvature splendidly I think.

   best

   LFB